So, as of late, I have been trying to prep some decently healthy meals and snacks for the week every Sunday. When I say try, I literally mean TRY (in other words I’m anticipating some fairly routine fails when attempting to work off of Pinterest recipes). Yesterday, I made a humongous batch of breakfast “mush” (as I’m sure Ryan would refer to it as) because I was craving comfort food and have been having a lot of eggs and avocado shakes lately. I needed a change.
The process was basically one step: look at what I have in the fridge and cupboards and dump a bunch of ingredients into my slow cooker (you could just as easily microwave this and stop to stir every once in a while). Because nothing needed to be cooked for safety reasons, I just simmered it at low for an hour to make sure all ingredients were incorporated nicely. The end product has a bit of a green colour because of the hemp protein powder (vanilla whey would be prettier and maybe tastier but I wanted to do something dairy free, just for fun… Cause that’s the kind of thing I do to “have fun” apparently? Haha … Yikes.)
– 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
– 3/4 cup ground flax seeds
– 1/2 cup chia seeds
– 2 tbsp Maca (not necessary, just something new I’m trying to incorporate into my life … This was my first attempt)
– 4 to 5 cups unsweetened original flavour almond milk (again, could use regular dairy milk, flavoured milks, soy, rice, whatever!)
– 1/2 cup maple syrup
– 2 tbsp coconut flour
– 1/4 cup hemp protien powder
– 3/4 cup plain almonds
– 3 bananas (decently ripe, not green but not heavily spotted – if you don’t know the difference ask my twin brother, he may just indulge you with his very particular banana-ripeness opinion/rant)
I did not add any salt or spices but you could definitely add in some cinnamon and maybe a pinch of salt. This was really tasty and packed full of fibre, healthy omega fats, vitamins and minerals not to mention a little bit of needed protein.
I have to say I am proud I wrote this all down while I was experimenting because I normally throw random things together and microwave them. Can you tell I am really trying to take pride in the small improvements … So, yay me! Just kidding. Kind of.